Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Business DropZone

Business Section section

This section will provide our members with weekly tutorials regarding SEO and proper business representation on hte Internet.

As for rules, they are the same than the forum rules (please check them if you are not familiar with those). In short, we ask you to respect members, respect their opinions, thoughts, and comments. If you do not go by the rules, one of the staff members will impose a sanction.
Enjoy the section, and do not hesitate to contact the staff to share your suggestions!

Kindly yours,

“YourForum” staff.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SEO Journal: Weekly Search & Social News: 03/16/2010
www.yourforum.gr
post 16 Mar 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #1

No comments
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 121
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

Welcome to another edition of ‘7 Days of Search and Social‘ – last week was a pretty damned busy one out in the search news/blogging space and we have a TON of good reading this week. From compliant code for SEO to the ever popular (debated) SEO standards and a whack of search geeky goodiness, there was plenty out there. Oh and what’s with Matt lately? There have been some funny ones over there (Video section) the last two weeks. Thanks for the giggle bro. I hope this editon finds you well… there’s def something for everyone.

And away we go…

Lead Story

Is compliant code an SEO ranking factor?

Over the last year or so I˘d had the conversation many times about SEO and valid mark-up. For the record I am of the mind-set it is more a factor of good webmastering than it is anything. Sure, if the site lags bad or even worse, doesn˘t render, it certainly can have an SEO effect, but from a ranking perspective, no… not a signal…ain˘t gonna happen.

Interestingly I was going to pen a post about it for the SEOBS blog (for me pal Edward), but now? No point… its been beaten to death last week. Witness;

And I˘ve spoken to a Googler whom said;

“There are many good reasons to validate markup — for instance, cleaner code might display better on mobile phones or be handled better by screen readers — but ranking on Google isn’t one of those reasons. There are currently too many pages with original and compelling content but poor markup for us to justify favoring well-validating pages. So nothing’s changed since 2006 on this front.”

Hopefully we can leave this one alone for the moment. That being said, it really can˘t hurt to take some of Edward˘s thoughts to heart as it does still make good sense. It simply shouldn˘t be considered a ˇranking factor˘.

Quick Nav LinksTalk of the TownGeek CentralSocial SearchLocal SEOVideosToolsPatents -

Talk of the town

A modest proposal for SEO standards – was so damned tempting as the lead story, I thought I˘d give it a little extra space ( Owe it to ˇEdward˘ to at least give the other a leg up). As long time readers and old horses would know, ˇstandards˘ has been a long running source of discussion and frustration in the SEO world. When someone I respect speaks about it (Michael, and Bill before that) I tend to take another look. Give the above post a read and consider writing about it or otherwise discussing it.

He followed that up with ˇA modest proposal for SEO training course standards˘ and in talking with him over the weekend he also mentioned; Can we talk SEO? In one SEO lexicon? – that post is really a good starting point even. Will we ever nail it? I sure hope so.

Advice for a New Internet Marketer (or How to Spot Internet Marketing Snake Oil) – was a great post on a few levels. For starters I really enoyed the rant quality to it. Secondly, she separated link building from SEO… something a LOT of peeps don˘t seem to grasp. Great stuff T!

Have Google Index Your AJAX, Here Is How – some good tips on a topic we˘ve been hearing more and more of lately. Seems Google has a good grip on not only JS, but its super-powered kin, AJAX. Certainly worth reading if applicable to your situation.

3 Tricks on SEO & User Engagement – I was going to put this one into the ˇWeapons˘ section, but I liked it so much, it was worth giving more attention to. While I am still in the process of testing the concepts, its some solid stuff regardless. I am curious if ˇTip 3˘ qualifies as cloaking, something to look into.

Website Redesign, SEO, & Video – Keys to E-Commerce Future – for the universal search geeks out there, this post once more shows the value of video. A quick tip for you; not many SEOs are good at video. M˘kay? Thars gold in them ˇthar hills!

Picking Wise Search Projects – Lyndsay was getting into what I like to call ˇpre-qualifying clients˘. It is a safe bet that one doesn˘t want to take each and every client that rolls in… Some common sense tips here for grading yours.

Study: Searches Ignore Real-Time Search Results – wasn˘t really a big surprise to most search geeks. Barry also has some links to convos and more to the story. While I won˘t call it dead just yet, it˘s current iteration leaves plenty of room for improvement.

4 Things That Are Getting Me Rankings, Right Now – ˇDave Bait˘ is alive and well this week, but have no worries, Glen is a kick ass kid! And his post teaches us once more, that SEO isn˘t all about links as many would have you believe… Ya know?

20 Things You Can Teach a HIPPO to Make Your Website Better – Speaking of bait, this post from Todd came up on the radar this week thanks to a mention of zee Dojo. But as always, entry does actually have a bar around here. Todd does a great job of

A Practical Guide To Information Architecture Changes – being a more ˇcontent centric˘ SEO, information architecture is something I pay attention to. From CMS to architecture, this is a solid post worth reading. Even if you aren˘t planning changes… good elements to remember.

Migrating to a New Domain and URL Structure – speaking of IA and site changes, this post on SEJ was also solid in that regard. Between the two, you should have a good framework.

71 Technical Factors For Backlink Analysis (From 30 Link Building Experts) – Part 2 – Garrett French is at it again with his mega-geek round ups. See how I don˘t use the word ˇexperts˘ G? Hee hee. OK, nit picking. Some solid advice all-around.

Google Responds To Privacy Concerns With Unsettlingly Specific Apology – and last, but certainly not least, a good laugh at Google˘s expense (they can take it). I truly had a good search geeky guffaw with this one. Enjoy.

Honourable Mentions;

Quick Nav LinksTalk of the TownGeek CentralSocial SearchLocal SEOVideosToolsPatents -

Search Geek Central

Search Stuff

Will Google Bring Us Tabbed Windows on TV? – SEO by the Sea

Google Is Bing˘s 4th Largest Referring Source – SEL

Illuminating the path to SEO for Silverlight – Bing Blog

It˘s Official: Google˘s Proposal For Crawling AJAX URLs is Live -
Nine by Blue

Semantic web spam; SemSpam – Science for SEO

Using Groovy to Upload RDF files to the Talis Platform – Planet RDF

Microdata support for Rich Snippets – Google

Google and Transparency  - Noisy Channel

New HTML+RDFa draft published – W3C

Not All Queries Are Created Equal - Noisy Channel

CEO Interview: Surf Canyon’s Mark Cramer Is a PC – TechCrunch

Social Search

WhosTalking API goes into public beta – WhosTalkin

Collecta Launches Mobile Version Of Real-Time Search Engine – SEL

Twitter turns on maps feature for its website, but not for search – VentureBeat

Google Docs To Wordpress To Twitter & Social Sites – Hobo

New Google Wave Extensions Debut! - SEJ

Local SEO

Calling All Bets: Who Will Win The Location Wars? - Outspoken Media

What Does Advertising on Yelp Get You? – Small Business SEM

Two More Studies Confirm: People Research Online, Buy Locally – Small Business SEM

Quick Nav LinksTalk of the TownGeek CentralSocial SearchLocal SEOVideosToolsPatents

Videos

How to Use Free Keyword Tools – Christine Churchill – Web Marketing Today

Bob Visse – MSN Integration with BingBing

The Beast File: Google – Hungry Beast

Cutt’s Corner

Does the PageRank of Twitter profiles matter?
Should I block duplicate pages using robots.txt?
Does Google think the world will end in 2012?  (these humorous ones are fun lately)

Weapons

How to Make a Pivot Table and Chart in Excel – SEO Gadget

The Pitfalls Of A/B Ad Split Testing, Part 1 – SEL

Find Relevant Blogs (and Link Building Opportunities) with Xmark – SEJ

7 Google Chrome Extensions To Make You A More Efficient SEO – Distilled

3 Tools to Analyze the Sentiment of Your Brand Social Mention - SEJ

Kill Useless Web Metrics: Apply The "Three Layers Of So What" Test – Avinash

AlertRank: Google Alerts on Steroids – SEJ

Search Patents

Google

Document segmentation based on visual gaps

Microsoft

Search results injected into client applications

Keyword search volume seasonality forecasting engine

Yahoo

Techniques for clustering structurally similar web pages based on page features

/end SOSG session

Quick Nav Links – Talk of the TownGeek CentralSocial SearchLocal SEOVideosToolsPatents -

David Harry aka the Gypsy

ˇ7 Days of Search and Social˘ is a joint effort from Search Engine Journal and the SEO Training Dojo to bring you the latest in SEO and Social Search news. Each week (on Tuesdays) we˘ll be posting the highlights of the most recent (SEO Geeks) newsletter here on Search Engine Journal.

Be sure to grab the SEJ feed for the latest or sign up to the SEO Dojo newsletter to get it straight to your inbox.

Check out the SEO Tools guide at Search Engine Journal.

Weekly Search & Social News: 03/16/2010

View the full article

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:42 PM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find