www.yourforum.gr
post 9 Oct 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #1

No comments
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 121
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

I had a PSU problem on a desktop PC running a Promise IDE RAID controller with 2 x IDE drives on a stipped array ...

after replacing the faulty PSU i was sad enough to notice the RAID volume was unreadable

this is common when one of the two discs of the array goes bad but S.M.A.R.T and diagnostics on the RAID controller showed both discs as fine

so i tried a different approach, after looking around a bit

1. First problem was to try re-import the discs as foreign to the partition and see if the dynamic status changes

BEWARE : do NOT use Operating System to convert Dynamic to Basic, you will lose all data

NOTICE : do NOT recreate an array clearing drives

WARNING : do everything at your own risk, this could seriously damage your data !

so, here we go :

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
www.yourforum.gr
post 9 Oct 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #2

No comments
Group Icon

I just recently moved and I had movers pack us up and deliver. I just got my PC up and running today. So I go to save a file and noticed that my RAID-0 array is not showing up (Drive E). I check out Disk Management and it shows Unavailable Dynamic disk. So I then venture into the Event Viewer and I see this error

CODE
dmboot: Failed to start volume Volume2 ( H: )

Off to google I go and I go to this page http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236086 and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. So I reboot the PC and enter into my RAID management utility and deleted the array. I reboot and go into Disk Management, still show Unavailable Dynamic Disk, so I delete the volume and remove the disk. I rebooted again into the RAID managment and recreate the array without initializing. I reboot once again. I go back to disk management and I import the foreign disk. And all my data is still in tact.

This array is two WD 120Gb drives that is half full of goodies.

So if any one ever comes across this problem, now you know how to fix it without losing data.

Source : http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/saved-myself-here-how-t58976.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
www.yourforum.gr
post 9 Oct 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #3

No comments
Group Icon

this did not work like it should so we are brought to part

2. Convert Dynamic ( and unreadable ) disc to Basic without losing data and in my case, NO BACKUP in the middle or conversion / extraction from a stripped ( RAID-0 ) array !

to manage this, i used AOMEI Dynamic Disk Converter Pro

the results ?

all data is back, i just run CHKDSK once again and did not even lose files to chains !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:48 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find