Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Athlon Fx-60 / X2 5000+, AMD Flagship !
NickTheGreek
post 10 Jan 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

Read a preview !

user posted image

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 is the best consumer processor AMD have ever produced. With effectively a pair of FX-55s sat in the same socket, sharing an efficient memory controller, it's close enough to FX-57 in single-threaded apps that the multi-threaded advantage makes that slender gap moot. Targetted at the well-heeled enthusiast, the new dual-core processor should be a shoo-in for those with FX-57s already, and those with the required readies to drop on the latest and greatest.

Gaming wise, yes, currently the FX-60 is a minor step down from an FX-57, both at their default clocks. But the step is a small one, and the benefits of the extra core in system that's being used by other applications while you game are what the FX-60, and all performance dual-core processors, are about. The FX-60 is a gamer's chip, make no mistake.

The FX-60 is simply the most desirable processor to slide into a 939-pin processor socket to date. Dual-core is that good, even though our test suite could use a little work to really show you how a multi-processor system can chew through modern workloads.

However, for the first time in a long time, we're left pondering whether Intel have a worthy contender to a new Athlon 64 FX processor. As Tarinder showed you for HEXUS.core recently, the 955 XE 'Presler' core microprocessor has a fine turn of speed when it's worked in multi-threaded applications, and it's no gaming slouch either. That Intel insiders say its a 4.26GHz processor in disguise is telling, too.

At similar prices - $1000 or so in volume - there's nothing much in it when it comes to price, especially if FX-60 turns out to be close to £800 today, rather than the conversion at current exchange rates. What edges it for the FX-60 is the excellence of the supporting platform and the environmental performance, on top of the slender overall performance win. While we don't show you explicitly in this article, it runs cooler than FX-57, consumes the same under our load condition, and bests 955XE in both those metrics by quite some margin.

It won't be cheap, but then for most FX consumers that matters little. They want the best CPU for their systems and under default conditions, the FX-60 is that microprocessor. As an aside, the particular review sample used for this article does a nice and easy 2.8GHz at stock voltage, and just shy of 3GHz when voltage is upped a little, all on the default PIB cooler. Unlocked multipliers means adjustment of the requisites is a piece of cake.

955XE runs the Athlon 64 FX-60 processor closer than AMD would maybe like, but the AMD chip manages the win, meaning the FX line remains undefeated in head-to-head scraps since its launch as the first consumer Athlon 64 processor.

The questions laid out on page 1 are therefore answered thus: yes, and yes, making it the best x86 CPU, money no object. It's sweet validation for the rest of the current AMD dual-core desktop lineup, too, and a fine flag to wave for the benefits of CPUs in this kind of configuration.

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
nasos
post 11 Jan 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Zodiac Sign: I'm a aries!

For sure I like it !!!!!!!

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 16 Jan 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

MD's Socket-939 has been the platform of choice almost immediately after its introduction, so it is fitting that the last Socket-939 processor to be released would be the Athlon 64 FX-60.

After today's launch of the FX-60, there will be no faster Socket-939 CPUs produced. Instead, everything else will be Socket-AM2 (the new name for Socket-M2). Next quarter, AMD will launch their Socket-AM2 platform along with AM2 versions of the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 and the FX-62. Given that the AM2 platform adds DDR2 support, it is entirely feasible that the Athlon 64 FX-62 won't receive a clock speed bump over the FX-60 and just use the higher bandwidth memory as justification for the higher model number.

Although we've generally shied away from recommending AMD's FX line of processors, we can't help but be a little excited about the FX-60. When AMD introduced their X2 line of dual-core processors, the FX series remained single core, but maintained a fairly high clock speed. AMD even went as far as to release the FX-57, clocked a full 400MHz higher than the fastest X2. With the FX-60, that trend is over; from this day forward, all members of the FX series of processors are now dual core. They are still sold under the Athlon 64 FX brand, despite being dual core chips.

Our excitement over the Athlon 64 FX-60 isn't really about its performance, although at 2.6GHz it is quite stellar; rather, it is more of an excitement out of principle. We've favored and recommended dual core processors to power users as soon as they were available, even though dual core processors were generally far slower at single-threaded applications than their equivalently priced single core alternatives. With the FX-60, at least at the high end, the same is no longer true.

The fastest single core AMD processor is still the Athlon 64 FX-57 running at 2.8GHz, which AMD will continue to sell alongside the FX-60. But with the clock speed gap between the 2.6GHz dual core FX-60 and the 2.8GHz single core FX-57 a meager 7.6%, you can effectively go to one CPU and get the best single-threaded and mulbreasthreaded performance. Remember that the best applications that scale with clock speed generally give you a 50% return on every 100% increase in clock speed, so in most of the single-threaded cases, the FX-57's performance advantage will be in the 0 - 4% range. But on the flip side, the fact that the FX-60 is a dual core processor will buy it a lot in mulbreasthreaded applications.

[source]AnandTech[/source]

--------------------

+Quote Post
anthrax
post 21 Jan 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 976

the amd FX-60 is supposed to pwn.. ive used an FX-57 and an X2 4800+ both very awesome.. i'd like to use an FX-60 tho

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 22 Jan 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon

and the FX-62 has been announced ! a dual core beast !

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:37 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find