post 14 Dec 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

user posted image

Just bought this yesterday and i am so excited with it i felt like sharing.

I wanted to buy a biometric security measure - just for the sake of it, no other people use my computer, usually - and a Fingerprint Reader is a fine start.

I was on a large store in Athens with cdpanos and at 78 € it seems a good bargain for a USB ergonomic keyboard with additional - customizable - buttons, with a fingerprint reader and an optical mouse. With the sign of Microsoft, of course ( at least they are far better in hardware than in software sometimes smile.gif )

Anyway, i was mainly anxious to use the Reader and the software : Digital Persona which logins you with the touch of your finger and stores passwords for WEB logins etc.

Trust me : it works like a charm, especially - since this is proprietary hardware - in Internet Explorer... That was the bad news in fact, because, although i have set up a user login in Firefox fopr some sites, things are not that good here : they are still trying to force us using IE ?

Anyway, i have also read other reviews - which will follow after my words here - with an average rating 8.0 / 10 which is really really good...

Santa was good to me again, i guess.

The good:  Easy to set up and use; software quickly recognizes your fingerprint.

The bad: Works only with Microsoft's own Internet Explorer browser.

The bottom line: With Microsoft's Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader, you have a simple and safe way to access password-protected Web sites through Internet Explorer.

CODE

Do you feel like you're fighting a losing battle against your ever-expanding list of Web site usernames and passwords? If you are tired of having to give Web sites your first car's make and model or your pet's name in order to be e-mailed your account information, Microsoft has the keyboard for you. Instead of always having to hunt for your passwords, with the Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader, you'll have them at the tip of your finger.

The $104 keyboard-and-wireless-mouse combo is easy to set up and requires little or no thought to use--provided your browser of choice is Microsoft's Internet Explorer. The software takes four scans of your finger (any one will do), after which you're ready to create fingerprint logins for your favorite sites. We visited Hotmail and Gmail; on both sites' login screens, we let the keyboard scan our fingerprint on file (left index). A small window popped up, asked for our username and password, and let us either choose Submit or enter options (for example, it recognized Gmail's Don't ask for my password for 2 weeks option).

Subsequent visits to the sites required only that we submit our fingerprint, which was quickly recognized in about one second, before IE granted access to our in-box. Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck with alternate browsers such as Netscape or Mozilla's Firefox. We were able to access one site with these browsers (fantasy-football site TheHuddle.com) because it used a Windows password pop-up window, but all other attempts at using the fingerprint scanner failed. Still, for IE users, the Optical Desktop with Fingerprint Reader is a great tool for leaving your password problems in the past.

The keyboard itself comes with the standard array of multimedia and shortcut keys in addition to the fingerprint scanner, which sits on the left edge. The included mouse, Microsoft's Optical Wireless 2.0, requires two AA batteries and will serve most users well, although you may wish it had thumb-side buttons for added functionality.

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 14 Dec 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

Microsoft Info page :
CODE
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=034

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:02 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find