Lifetime commited
Group Icon

Group: Elite Members
Member No.: 3623
Zodiac Sign: I'm a gemini!

Anaximandros Invents The Gnomon and Map
(550 B.C)

user posted image

Two very significant facts are aged at 550 B.C and are related to Anaximandros the Milisian. He was a philosopher and mathematician, student of Thalis and his work ancestor.

The invention of the gnomon as a tool for the evolution of the sun clocks, it si attributed to him......This instrument which is also called as "shadow - hunter" (σκιοθήρης), calculates the duration of day, the hours and an exact moment during the day. from that point of view, the gnomon, proved a very usefull and efficient tool for the time - measuring, moreover on this tool based the evolution of the sun - clocks as a tool for advancing astronomy's instruments and the very interesting "portable sun - clocks" that are the forefathers of our days clocks.....

Anaximandros made the first map of the world. Although this map has been lost, we can imagine what it must have looked like, because Herodotus, who has seen such old maps, describes them. Anaximandros' map must have been circular, like the top of his drum-shaped earth. The river Ocean surrounded it. The Mediterranean Sea was in the middle of the map, which was divided into two halves by a line that ran through Delphi, the world's navel. The northern half was called 'Europe', the southern half 'Asia'. The habitable world (Greek: "Ηκουμένη") consisted of two relatively small strips of land to the north and south of the Mediterranean Sea (containing Spain, Italy, Greece, and Asia Minor on the one side, and Egypt and Libya on the other side), together with the lands to the east of the Mediterranean Sea: Palestine, Assyria, Persia, and Arabia. The lands to the north of this small 'habitable world' were the cold countries where mythical people lived. The lands to the south of it were the hot countries of the black burnt people.

Anaximandros put the basis on the cartography, with his philosophical point of view about the world and his perception about earth's shape imprinted on a piece of paper (a "panel" as it called).

Although those achievements were found in earlier civilizations such as the Babilonian, Anaximandros is the first one who set measures to earths limits and print them on a material such as wood. This map, of course, wasn't right but it was the foundation stone for geography, cartography and astronomy of the next years.

user posted imageuser posted image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
XRUSA
post 16 Jul 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #2

YourForum Astrologer
Group Icon

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 1148
Zodiac Sign: I'm a aries!

very nice sis... ize.thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eua1
post 18 Aug 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #3

Lifetime commited
Group Icon

Group: Elite Members
Member No.: 3623
Zodiac Sign: I'm a gemini!

extra.thankyou.gif default.rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 18 Aug 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

We owe our Great Google rankings to such posts default.wink.gif

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:45 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find