post 28 Mar 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #1

ex - Member Staff
Group Icon

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 5
Zodiac Sign: I'm a virgo!

Crystal skull

"Crystal Skull" is also the name of an episode of the science fiction television series Stargate SG-1, which involve a crystal skull.

A crystal skull is a model of a human skull made out of clear quartz crystal. A modern legend claims that there are 13 crystal skulls worldwide, of which five have actually been found, which have mystical powers and are of ancient origin. Such claims remain unproven. New skulls carved from crystal are made and sold regularly.

People who believe in the psychic power of crystal skulls say that the skulls are a center of radiant psychic energy and have the power to increase happiness and improve people's lives just by being held, handled and spoken with; others have suggested that crystal skulls can be used like crystal balls, to aid divination.

The healing and supernatural powers of crystal skulls have never been scientifically established. The scientific community at large has found no evidence of any unusual phenomena associated with the skulls nor any reason for further investigation.

The supposed supernatural powers of the skulls has been the cornerstone of the Star Protist cult. Their founder and leader Jacob Jachowicz claims to be able to read the skulls and harness their powers.

Mitchell-Hedges skull

Perhaps the best-known crystal skull, the Mitchell-Hedges skull, is currently in the possession of Anna Mitchell-Hedges. Her father F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, was an adventurer who dabbled in amateur archaeology, as well as the ancient civilizations of Latin America and the study of Atlantis (a rumored sunken civilization thought mythical by most archaeologists).

F.A. Mitchell-Hedges claimed to have found the skull in a cave on one of his expeditions to Lubaantun, but his detractors insist that he bought it at an auction at Sotheby's. The salesmen at Sotheby's apparently got it from owners in Germany.

Mitchell-Hedges, and a few others, claim that the skull is too intricate and flawless a carving to have been made hurriedly in recent years, and insist that the skull must have been carved over decades in the distant past in Atlantis. One inspector of a skull reportedly estimated that this work of crystal would require 200 years for humans to make. Mitchell-Hedges himself declared that the skull took 150 years to make and was 3,600 years old, although he offered no sources or reasons for these dates.

Critics of Mitchell-Hedges's speculations reply that modern technology has provided many ways for skillful artisans to produce sculptures with relative ease: furthermore, as virtually all historians and scientists agree that there is no evidence of a lost Atlantean civilization, these critics denounce the suggestion that the skull was carved in Atlantis as wishful thinking.

Recent research on a possibly Aztec crystal skull held by the British Museum, has shown that the indented lines marking the teeth (for this skull has no separate jawbone, unlike the Mitchell-Hedges skull) were carved using jeweler's equipment developed in the 19th century, making a supposed pre-Columbian origin even more dubious.

Crystal skulls in fiction

A crystal skull is one of the Twenty Treasures of Zork from the Infocom text adventure Zork I.

The comic strip The Phantom has made use of the Crystal Skulls in several stories. The plot of the 1990's movie The Phantom, based on the comic strip, revolved around skulls with magic powers, however these were of jade, gold, and silver, and not crystal.

An episode of the television series Stargate SG-1 dealt with crystal skulls.

In the horror-comedy film House 2, the Crystal Skull is a mystical artifact that is sought after by ghosts and other supernatural creatures.

In Shadow Hearts: From the New World Crystal Skulls play a role in the puzzles at Chitchen Itza.

--------------------

You are working for a living,
not living for working !
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
LIgoddess53
post 30 Mar 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #2

yourforum addicted
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 241
Zodiac Sign: I'm a sagittarius!

While I am no where near the rock scientist my daughter is, I do know alot about jewelry and the cutting of stones. We think something like theskull would be cut and carved with "tools". Well a diamond no matter the size is not "cut" like we thinkit is. The stone is studied, and the facets are made by not delicate tools, but by smacking the rock with a hammer and steel bar to fractue the plains. Now quartz is much like diamonds in it's cryatalization, and the lines and plains. it's not carved like marble, although, marble too his hammered and chizled. So any tools used for these things are ancient.
As for the significance of there being power in the stone, rattleing around in the crystals, there is a possibility. Again, though there is the scientific, I use the Bible as a guide. Why? Well it's like this, I actually got this information out of a book on th esignificance of different stones. First, God had the children of Isreal make a breast plate for th ehigh priest to wear on Holy occasions,an it was set with 12 stones each representing a house of the 12 tribes. Hum! Then when there is a discriptions of the New Jerusalam the walls of the city have 12 rows of stones all very specific. I ask, what is God saying, I realize they are most likely to represent the 12 tribes but why put them in the walls?
So we get out cue's from God that there is a signifigance to stones and the value and worth.
And so ancient or not these skulls how ever made had to be doe by none other than a master, because the quartz would shatter no matter who was making them. So it is a pretty unusual thing, and I believe that these stones, and their components have some signifigance!!!

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 15 Jun 2006, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

now that you mentioned Crystal Skull, i think the movie StarGate is one of a kind, have u watched it ?

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:23 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find