NickTheGreek
post 10 Oct 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

Today pushed my luck even more than usual: using a client without any antivirus i downloaded a Torrent Magnet link from a website i had not used in the past,

in seconds i was infected by Ransomware, pretty much as described here:

i decided to clean the PC the hard way, still without any antivirus

Shortly after having practically lost control of the PC i managed to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get a Windows Boot/Lock Screen and then i tried restarting

This stopped the memory resident portion of the virus and i even managed to locate the executables in

CODE
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp

after that i was still reluctant to restart because the registry related portion of the malware was still present meaning i could be locked off the PC provided the virus would be calling to missing files.

Well, truth be told things were worse than that, although i create a system restore point upon restart i had this new issue

Workstation kept rebooting due to an error even on Safe Mode, and disabling the automatic restart introduced me to this new type of BSOD

CODE
STOP: c0000135 the program can't start because %hs is missing. Try reinstalling the program

This Blue Screen Of Death is typical for such malware / ransomware : once you are not paying your exit from jail they demolish the prison !

So i looked around and to my good luck and gain of knowledge here come(s) the solution(s)

Cheers

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th March 2024 - 07:12 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find