NickTheGreek
post 19 Sep 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

i too had issues but not lost a bit of data - yet - so i am quoting this article related to Intel Storage Manager ...

currently removed and readded a member of RAID-5 array and it seems to be rebulding ... slower than eternity

"I was using Intel Matrix Storage Console to manage a RAID 5 volume on my "ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller" (at least that's how it reads in Device Manager), and I was running a RAID 5 volume without issue until I experienced a drive failure a couple weeks ago. All three drives are Seagate, and I warranteed the failed drive. After an extended wait I finally have the refurbished drive back from Seagate. I put the drive back into my machine, wired it up as normal, and now the Intel controller utility (when I first start the machine, following a successful POST) shows 2 member drives, and one non-raid member drive. I entered the utility, and it doesn't give me an option to rebuild the array, only to delete it, which would DELETE the volume AND it's data, which, in my mind, defeats the purpose of RAID 5 altogether.

Now, we come to the point of the issue. The definition in Intel Storage Matrix Console's help for a "failed" array is as follows: "A RAID 5 volume is reported as 'Failed' when more than one member has failed. If this occurs, please follow the procedure shown below. This procedure deletes the failed RAID 5 volume and creates a new RAID 5 volume; it does not recover the failed RAID 5 volume and its data. After the new RAID 5 volume has been created, you must restore the data from backups and install any software that was on the RAID 5 volume."

While I understand the definition, only 1 of my 3 member drives have failed, and honestly, I cannot reasonably afford to lose the data on my array. Intel Storage Matrix Console's help also gives this procedure to recover a degraded array: "In the device pane, right-click on the new non-RAID hard drive and select 'Rebuild to this Hard Drive'." I have no such option. All I have is "Mark as Spare", and "Activate Port LED", since the utility has flagged this as a "FAILED" array.

I've attached a screenshot of exactly how my utility appears, and my System Report exported from Intel Matrix Storage Console follows. I really need to find a way to recover my data, please help me!!!

"

System Information
Kit Installed: 8.9.0.1023
Kit Install History: 8.9.0.1023, Uninstall
Shell Version: 8.9.0.1023
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
OS Version: 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Name: -
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: P6X58D PREMIUM
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 0703 , 02/24/2010
Language: ENU
Intel® Matrix Storage Manager
Intel RAID Controller: Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller
Number of Serial ATA ports: 6
RAID Option ROM Version: 8.0.0.1038
Driver Version: 8.9.0.1023
RAID Plug-In Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: 8.9.0.1023
Create Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023
Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: 8.9.0.1023
Modify Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023
Delete Volume Wizard Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: 8.9.0.1023
ISDI Library Version: 8.9.0.1023
Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 8.9.0.1023
Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: 8.9.0.1023
Event Monitor Version: 8.9.0.1023
Array_0000
Hard Drive Data Cache Enabled: Yes
Size: 5589 GB
Free Space: 0 GB
Number of Hard Drives: 3
Hard Drive Member 1: ST32000641AS
Hard Drive Member 2: ST32000641AS
Hard Drive Member 3: Missing hard drive
Number of Volumes: 1
Volume Member 1: Storage0
Storage0
System Volume: No
Volume Write-Back Cache Enabled: No
RAID Level: RAID 5 (striping with parity)
Strip Size: 64 KB
Size: 3726 GB
Physical Sector Size: 512 Bytes
Logical Sector Size: 512 Bytes
Number of Hard Drives: 3
Hard Drive Member 1: ST32000641AS
Hard Drive Member 2: ST32000641AS
Hard Drive Member 3: Missing hard drive
Parent Array: Array_0000
Hard Drive 0
Usage: Non-RAID hard drive
Device Port: 0
Device Port Location: Internal
Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2
Model: ST32000641AS
Serial Number: -
Firmware: CC13
Native Command Queuing Support: Yes
System Hard Drive: No
Size: 1863 GB
Hard Drive 1
Usage: Array member
Device Port: 1
Hard Drive 2
Usage: Array member
Device Port: 2
Hard Drive 3
Unused Port 0
Device Port: 3
Unused Port 1
Device Port: 4
CD/DVD Drive 0
Device Port: 5
Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1
Model: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30
Serial Number: K9LA6M84821
Firmware: 1.00

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

"This really isn't a fix to whats going on with the Intel Matrix software, but here is how I was able to recover the data on my failed RAID 5 array. I had just about given up and was getting ready to wipe the drives when I decided to look at a data recovery app I had purchased some time ago for an accidentally formatted drive. This software (Zero Assumption Recovery) has the ability to also recover data from failed RAID arrays (both RAID 0 and RAID 5). In order to use it, I first had to take the remaining original 3 drives of the array and delete the RAID array that was setup (I did this through the boot time interface as some people have suggested it won't affect the data on the drives). Once you boot back into Windows and start up the ZAR software, it will be able to see the 3 drives that made up the array and after quite a few hours, it will have scanned and should have recovered your data. The trial lets you run the full scan, but only gives you the ability to restore 4 items or folders (can't remember). The software didn't fully reconstruct the folder path that I had on the drive before, but I was able to find all of my files that weren't in the orginial folder as well. Since my array was 3TB, I had used GPT instead of MBR and I'm not sure if this caused the folder structure to not be fully recognized. To avoid this issue in the future, I have built a new server with a dedicated RAID controller (LSI MegaRAID SAS 6260-4i) and 4 2TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. On my system with the Intel Matrix RAID controller, I switched from a RAID 5 configuration to a RAID 10. I went from 3TB to 2TB in storage, but it should be a bit faster and more reliable since no calcuations are needed for the bit parity. Hopefully this method will work for you guys as well so you can recover any of the data you have lost.

FYI, the link to the ZAR site is http://www.z-a-recovery.com/"

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

"Thanks very much for reply!

Intel is useless - i did as you told - everithing restored! only difference i have user Diskinternals raid restoration software : http://www.diskinternals.com/raid-recovery/

Looks like intel's raid onboard implementation is crap and should be avoided.. I have never had any issues like this with proper RAID setups (Adaptec etc.)"

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 19 Sep 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

"Had a similar problem last month and also a couple of days ago on an ICH8R chipset. Believe the "failed" situation was caused by an intermittent problem with a cd burner while trying to burn a CD, but below is the procedure I used to make the array clean again without recovery software...

When system boots, hit ctl-I to enter the bios utility. A warning screen will pop up at the top of the screen. Don't remember the exact verbage on this screen, but it says in effect that the array failed, do you want to fix it... Answer yes and the array status will change from failed to degraded. (You may have tophysically unplug power for 30 secs or so first to get the controller to totally reset - don't have enough permutations of the problem to be sure of this...)

Boot the system, open the Matrix Storage Manager, right click on the drive with the red x, and select "mark as normal"

Wait for raid to rebuild.

I believe the problem in my situation was caused by a flaky or dying DVD Burner. Historically, I have found that hard errors on a CD or DVD burner will really hang the OS (at least XP) at a very low level in the OS to the point it won't respond to ctl-alt-del and the only solution is red button reset or power. I'm thinking that this low level hang is messing with the low level OS driver software that controls the ICH chipset and the delay is making it think a drive or array went offline and "failed". I replaced the DVD burner two days ago, and will probably take 6-8 weeks to be pretty sure the problem is solved.

While your situation might not be caused by the same thing, I believe that any low-level software driver hang in the OS could produce a failed array and this is probably a pitfall of having an OS software driven RAID controller. Would be nice if Intel would confirm this as a possible limitation..."

Source : http://communities.intel.com/thread/20495

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find