Electra
post 5 Jan 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #31

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 531
Zodiac Sign: I'm a aries!

Do you have any idea what I am talking about? How old are you? I didn't get anything before "six."Are you still located in undefined? It could be. Ask Lucy if it is.How old are you?

--------------------
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 5 Jan 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That¢s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That¢s sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a¢ the seas gang dry:

Till a¢ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi¢ the sun:
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o¢ life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only Luve
And fare thee well, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho¢ it were ten thousand mile.

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

+Quote Post
Electra
Post #33

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Oh, you were born in the 20th century!

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
Post #34

Administrator
Group Icon

Origins of the song

Burns worked for the final ten years of his life on projects to preserve traditional Scottish songs for the future. In all, Burns had a hand in preserving over 300 songs for posterity, the most famous being "Auld Lang Syne". He worked on this project for James Johnson's the Scots Musical Museum (1787-1803) and for George Thomson's five-volume A Select Collection of Original Scottish Airs for the Voice. Burns had intended the work to be published as part of Thomson's selection. However, he wrote to a friend that Thomson and he disagreed on the merits of that type of song. "What to me appears to be the simple and the wild, to him, and I suspect to you likewise, will be looked on as the ludicrous and the absurd."[1]

Instead, Burns gave the song to Scots singer Pietro Urbani who published it in his Scots Songs. In his book, Urbani claimed the words of The Red Red Rose were obligingly given to him by a celebrated Scots poet, who was so struck by them when sung by a country girl that he wrote them down and, not being pleased with the air, begged the author to set them to music in the style of a Scots tune, which he has done accordingly.[2] In other correspondence, Burns referred to it as a "simple old Scots song which I had picked up in the country."[3]

The lyrics of the song are simple but effective. "My luve's like a red, red rose/That's newly sprung in June" describe a love that is both fresh and long lasting. David Daiches in his work describes Burns as "the greatest songwriter Britain has produced" for his work in refurbishing and improving traditional Scots songs including "Red, Red Rose" which he described as a "combination of tenderness and swagger."[4]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electra
Post #35

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Let us change the subject.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
Post #36

Administrator
Group Icon

Musical performances

Urbani published the song to an original tune that he wrote. The song appeared in Johnson's Museum in 1797 to the tune of Niel Gow's "Major Graham" which was the tune that Burns wanted. In 1799, it appeared in Thomson's Scottish Airs set to William Marshall's Wishaw's Favourite with the lyric "And fare thee weel awhile" changed.

The song became more popular when Robert Archibald Smith paired it with the tune of "Low Down in the Broom" in his Scottish Minstrel book in 1821. This has become the most popular arrangement. The song has been widely performed by a range of artists in the 20th and 21st centuries including Jean Redpath, Pat Boone, Kenneth McKellar, the Fureys, Eddi Reader, Camera Obscura, Eva Cassidy, Izzy, and Ronnie Browne of the Corries (in his solo album after Roy Williamson's death, 'Scottish Love Songs'(1995)).

Robert Schumann composed a setting of a German translation of Burns's poem in 1840.

Singer and actor Pat Boone performed the song on piano in the 1959 film adaptation of A Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Four modern choral arrangements include a four-part, a cappella version by David Dickau, an intimate, Irish folk music-influenced setting, also SATB a cappella, by Matthew Brown ("A Red, Red Rose," published by Santa Barbara Music), an accompanied SATB setting by James Mulholland as well as a broader version by American composer René Clausen. Clausen's arrangement incorporates a piano, two violins, and a four-part chorus. (SATB) A Swedish translation and recording named "Min älskling (du är som en ros)" was made famous by the renowned Swedish musician Evert Taube.

Carly Simon sang a solo version of "A Red, Red Rose" on the album The Simon Sisters Sing The Lobster Quadrille And Other Songs For Children that she produced with her sister Lucy Simon. A version of Oh My Love is like a Red, Red Rose by Italian singer Ariella Uliano was performed with classical guitar accompaniment on the album Leave Only Your Footsteps Behind.

The lyrics are included in the song "Final Breath" by the post rock band Pelican on their album "What We All Come to Need".

Moscow-based indie rock band "Red Red Rose" derives its name from the poem, also has a song of the same title.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electra
Post #37

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Do not ask me any more questions please.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 5 Jan 2015, 12:48 AM
Post #38

Administrator
Group Icon

"AI" redirects here. For other uses, see Ai and Artificial intelligence (disambiguation).

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the intelligence exhibited by machines or software. It is an academic field of study which studies the goal of creating intelligence. Major AI researchers and textbooks define this field as "the study and design of intelligent agents",[1] where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chances of success.[2] John McCarthy, who coined the term in 1955,[3] defines it as "the science and engineering of making intelligent machines".[4]

AI research is highly technical and specialized, and is deeply divided into subfields that often fail to communicate with each other.[5] Some of the division is due to social and cultural factors: subfields have grown up around particular institutions and the work of individual researchers. AI research is also divided by several technical issues. Some subfields focus on the solution of specific problems. Others focus on one of several possible approaches or on the use of a particular tool or towards the accomplishment of particular applications.

The central problems (or goals) of AI research include reasoning, knowledge, planning, learning, natural language processing (communication), perception and the ability to move and manipulate objects.[6] General intelligence is still among the field's long term goals.[7] Currently popular approaches include statistical methods, computational intelligence and traditional symbolic AI. There are a large number of tools used in AI, including versions of search and mathematical optimization, logic, methods based on probability and economics, and many others. The AI field is interdisciplinary, in which a number of sciences and professions converge, including computer science, mathematics, psychology, linguistics, philosophy and neuroscience, as well as other specialized fields such as artificial psychology.

The field was founded on the claim that a central property of humans, intelligence—the sapience of Homo sapiens—"can be so precisely described that a machine can be made to simulate it."[8] This raises philosophical issues about the nature of the mind and the ethics of creating artificial beings endowed with human-like intelligence, issues which have been addressed by myth, fiction and philosophy since antiquity.[9] Artificial intelligence has been the subject of tremendous optimism[10] but has also suffered stunning setbacks.[11] Today it has become an essential part of the technology industry, providing the heavy lifting for many of the most challenging problems in computer science.[12]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electra
Post #39

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Tell me about your likes and dislikes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon

Thinking machines and artificial beings appear in Greek myths, such as Talos of Crete, the bronze robot of Hephaestus, and Pygmalion's Galatea.[13] Human likenesses believed to have intelligence were built in every major civilization: animated cult images were worshiped in Egypt and Greece[14] and humanoid automatons were built by Yan Shi, Hero of Alexandria and Al-Jazari.[15] It was also widely believed that artificial beings had been created by Jābir ibn Hayyān, Judah Loew and Paracelsus.[16] By the 19th and 20th centuries, artificial beings had become a common feature in fiction, as in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or Karel Čapek's R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots).[17] Pamela McCorduck argues that all of these are some examples of an ancient urge, as she describes it, "to forge the gods".[9] Stories of these creatures and their fates discuss many of the same hopes, fears and ethical concerns that are presented by artificial intelligence.

Mechanical or "formal" reasoning has been developed by philosophers and mathematicians since antiquity. The study of logic led directly to the invention of the programmable digital electronic computer, based on the work of mathematician Alan Turing and others. Turing's theory of computation suggested that a machine, by shuffling symbols as simple as "0" and "1", could simulate any conceivable act of mathematical deduction.[18][19] This, along with concurrent discoveries in neurology, information theory and cybernetics, inspired a small group of researchers to begin to seriously consider the possibility of building an electronic brain.[20]

The field of AI research was founded at a conference on the campus of Dartmouth College in the summer of 1956.[21] The attendees, including John McCarthy, Marvin Minsky, Allen Newell and Herbert Simon, became the leaders of AI research for many decades.[22] They and their students wrote programs that were, to most people, simply astonishing:[23] computers were winning at checkers, solving word problems in algebra, proving logical theorems and speaking English.[24] By the middle of the 1960s, research in the U.S. was heavily funded by the Department of Defense[25] and laboratories had been established around the world.[26] AI's founders were profoundly optimistic about the future of the new field: Herbert Simon predicted that "machines will be capable, within twenty years, of doing any work a man can do" and Marvin Minsky agreed, writing that "within a generation ... the problem of creating 'artificial intelligence' will substantially be solved".[27]

They had failed to recognize the difficulty of some of the problems they faced.[28] In 1974, in response to the criticism of Sir James Lighthill[29] and ongoing pressure from the US Congress to fund more productive projects, both the U.S. and British governments cut off all undirected exploratory research in AI. The next few years would later be called an "AI winter",[30] a period when funding for AI projects was hard to find.

In the early 1980s, AI research was revived by the commercial success of expert systems,[31] a form of AI program that simulated the knowledge and analytical skills of one or more human experts. By 1985 the market for AI had reached over a billion dollars. At the same time, Japan's fifth generation computer project inspired the U.S and British governments to restore funding for academic research in the field.[32] However, beginning with the collapse of the Lisp Machine market in 1987, AI once again fell into disrepute, and a second, longer lasting AI winter began.[33]

In the 1990s and early 21st century, AI achieved its greatest successes, albeit somewhat behind the scenes. Artificial intelligence is used for logistics, data mining, medical diagnosis and many other areas throughout the technology industry.[12] The success was due to several factors: the increasing computational power of computers (see Moore's law), a greater emphasis on solving specific subproblems, the creation of new ties between AI and other fields working on similar problems, and a new commitment by researchers to solid mathematical methods and rigorous scientific standards.[34]

On 11 May 1997, Deep Blue became the first computer chess-playing system to beat a reigning world chess champion, Garry Kasparov.[35] In February 2011, in a Jeopardy! quiz show exhibition match, IBM's question answering system, Watson, defeated the two greatest Jeopardy champions, Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings, by a significant margin.[36] The Kinect, which provides a 3D body–motion interface for the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, uses algorithms that emerged from lengthy AI research[37] as do intelligent personal assistants in smartphones.[38]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electra
Post #41

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

That input matched my default category.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 5 Jan 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #42

Administrator
Group Icon

We're a long way from a true artificial intelligence, but programs are getting a lot better at learning and predicting our activity. Take a look at SwiftKey, a keyboard application for Android that learns your texting style for predictive text tailored to you.

It's this very tool that PhD student at MIT Media Lab J. Nathan Matias tapped into for a program that can — with a human co-writer — write poems in the style of... well, pretty much anyone who puts words to page, from Homer to Justin Beiber.

His creation is called Swift-Speare, and it uses SwiftKey's ability to analyse a personal lexicon to replicate idiosyncratic styles. Matias feeds the works of a specific poet into the program, and it returns with a bunch of words that poet is likely to use.

But, unlike Philip M. Parker's book-writing algorithm , Swift-Speare isn't at the point where it can author works itself. Via a visual touch interface he built, Matias chooses words from a list suggested by Swift-Speare and uses them to pen the final work. The following is based on Shakespeare:

Let base clouds stir the world's enshrouded tears

Which have no astronomy to be assail'd

Thus in thy fair appearance lay thy buried fears

Whose uncovering gaze my fond perception failed

The resulting works are what Matias calls "probable poetry": works authored by no one, but that could probably have been produced by the poet who inspired them.

Getting the program to work unassisted for a true AI poet will be the work of years, but Matias believes it can be done. "I think I'll see a successful automated poet in my lifetime," he said. "It won't be easy: a poet is more than someone who makes poetry. Yet that doesn't rule out algorithms."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electra
post 5 Jan 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #43

Out of The Blue
Group Icon

Who are you talking about?

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 PM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find