Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microsoft "genuine Advantage", Or Disadvantage ???
NickTheGreek
post 9 Aug 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

Glorious Microsoft

The newly born child in Redmond, Genuine Advantage program, was cracked 24 hours upon release .... !!!!

What can i say, the story is like TOM & JERRY and guess who is Tom ...

Here is the article :

CODE
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/28/microsoft_genuine_ad.html

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" cracked in 24h: window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all'

AV sez, "This week, Microsoft started requiring users to verifiy their serial number before using Windows Update. This effort to force users to either buy XP or tell them where you got the illegal copy is called 'Genuine Advantage.' It was cracked within 24 hours."

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

CODE
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

It turns off the trigger for the key check.

Thanx NMAND FOR THAT !

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
hlias_gr
post 9 Aug 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #2

ex - Member Staff
Group Icon

Group: Platinum Members
Member No.: 5
Zodiac Sign: I'm a virgo!

Wow! Well done NMand!

--------------------

You are working for a living,
not living for working !

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 9 Aug 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

yes, i asked whether there was something about it and he had it in half an hour ...

NMAND you did it again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 17 Aug 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

so, i guess validation is BUSTED !

--------------------

+Quote Post
nickpar
post 30 Aug 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Lifetime commited
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

definitely

--------------------

+Quote Post
IIIARSHAA
post 30 Aug 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Private Members
Member No.: 47

if your using iexplorer wasnt there somethig you could check to stop it checkin? cnt remember what now

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 30 Aug 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon

you mean ( in IE always ) to stop Java ?

but , apart from the Windows update, we want Java

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkRaven
post 30 Aug 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Zodiac Sign: I'm a capricorn!

nick you just saved me!!!

That was a kick-ass tip!

--------------------
[center]"Death is the great equalizer. This in fact proves that the grim reaper is a communist" by Anonymous
user posted image[/center]

+Quote Post
sidis
post 30 Aug 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #9

yourforum addicted
Group Icon

Group: Private Members
Member No.: 23
Zodiac Sign: I'm a virgo!

Another way to do this....

From the menu of Internet Explorer we choose Tools > Manage Add-ons.

From Show we choose: Adds-on that have been used by Internet Explorer.

We search for Windows Genuine Advantage, we mark it and choose disable.

Restart and we are ready.

Another tip thanks to gadgetakias

--------------------

"...99% of the problems lie between the keyboard and the chair..."

+Quote Post
nasos
post 2 Sep 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Zodiac Sign: I'm a aries!

Nice work man..! default.biggrin.gif default.blink.gif default.wacko.gif

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 30 Nov 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon

Microsoft finally fixed the hole :

Genuine Windows Validation fixed

user posted image

Microsoft has updated the Windows Genuine Validation tool to circumvent the hack exposed last week that allowed the system to be bypassed with a snippet of JavaScript code. The Validation is now a two-step process that first generates a code and then has you copy and paste that code to complete the process.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 30 Nov 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon

A researcher has posted what looks to be a simple workaround for Microsoft's latest attempt to crack down on those using unlicensed versions of Windows

A tool provided by Microsoft could let people get around a check meant to prevent those with unlicensed copies of Windows from downloading additional software from the company, according to a security researcher.

Researcher Debasis Mohanty outlined what he said was a technique to trick Microsoft's Windows Genuine Advantage validation check in a posting to the Full Disclosure security mailing list on Monday. WGA is a software tool that verifies whether a particular copy of the operating system is properly licensed.
Using a secondary Microsoft validation tool called "GenuineCheck.exe", it may be possible for people to trick the checking mechanism, Mohanty said in the posting. They could then download and run supposedly restricted software from Microsoft's Download Center on a PC running an unlicensed version of Windows, Mohanty wrote.

Microsoft confirmed that the technique could circumvent the licence check, but a representative said Monday that the company is not worried.

"This represents very little threat to Microsoft," the representative said. "We expected counterfeiters to try a number of different methods to circumvent the safeguards provided by Windows Genuine Advantage."

The company has been testing the WGA licence check on its Download Center and Windows Update Web sites for several months. It has said that by an unspecified date in the middle of this year, all Windows XP and Windows 2000 users will have to validate their copy of Windows before they can download from the Web sites.

The GenuineCheck.exe tool used to bypass the check is meant to provide an alternative way for users to prove that their copy of Windows is genuine. The primary Windows Genuine Advantage checking mechanism uses ActiveX, which is not supported in all Web browsers.

GenuineCheck generates a code that can subsequently be used to validate a pirated copy of Windows, according to Mohanty's posting. However, a PC running a legitimate version of Windows is required to run the GenuineCheck tool.

The threat is mitigated because the keys generated by the GenuineCheck tool expire "rapidly", the Microsoft representative said. Consequently, it would not do anyone much good to put up a Web page with a list of keys. Still, somebody would be able to generate a key and use it immediately on a PC with a pirated copy, or pass it on to a friend.

"This is more of an individual method of pirating. We don't see this as too different from people who take legitimate software, burn it to a CD and distribute it to their friends that way," the Microsoft representative said. Continue At Source

--------------------

+Quote Post
nickpar
post 16 Aug 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #13

Lifetime commited
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

is this trick still applicable ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 19 Aug 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #14

Administrator
Group Icon

<p><font color="red">Update</font>: The patch no longer working. For complete listing of more ways to bypass the new WGA update, check it out <a href="http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/">here</a>.</p>

As detailed in Bypass Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Check in Windows Update, Microsoft has made it harder for illegitimate, or for whatever reason, your copy of Microsoft Windows couldn’t be validated, users to retrieve updates via Microsoft Updates or Windows Update, and download programs from Microsoft Download Center.

If you just want to download and apply critical updates to your system, you will be still able to do that without any hack and crack. Just set your Windows’ Automatic Updates (found in Control Panel) setting to Automatic, and let Windows does the updating job in the background. The downside is, it won’t get for you the optional updates.

If you want to download optional components from Windows Update, or simply want to download Windows Defender, Windows Media Player 10, Photo Story 3, DirectX 9 and other application softwares from Microsoft Download Center that require WGA validation tool, you will need to apply a easy and safe hack to bypass the checking.

1. Open Windows Explorer by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer.
2. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data folder.
3. Delete (or backup or move to another folder, if you want) data.dat file.
4. Create a new empty data.dat: You can create a new text file by (make sure you are at the right folder at above) clicking File -> New -> Text Document or right clicking on Windows Explorer window then click New -> Text Document. Then, either rename the file to data.dat. The original .txt extention of the text file need to be changed too. You can disable the hiding of extension of known file types, or follow the following steps to create a new file out of the text file:
* Open the text document you just created.
* Click on File -> Save As.
* Change the Save as type to “All Files”.
* In the File name, type data.dat
* Click Save.
* Go back to the Windows Explorer, at folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data, check that data.dat exists.
* Delete the text file you created previously.
5. Set the attributes of data.dat to Hidden and Read-Only. Attributes can be set by right click on the data.dat file, and then click on Properties.
6. Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check has been disabled.

Note: The data.dat that are replacing the original data.dat can be blank text file or empty, or you may type whatever you want there.

With this hack (or crack if you want), Windows WGA piracy check will be bypassed and you can now download software from Download Center or apply updates from Microsoft/Windows Updates.

Note: The hack no longer able to remove Microsoft Genuine Advantage that pop-up “This copy of Windows is not genuine” warning message by telling you that WGA encounters error when trying to perform validation. More details and ways to bypass WGA available here.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:24 AM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find