> FirstGov.gov revamps search functionality
RSS Bot
post 25 Jan 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #1

yourforum Robot
Group Icon

Group: Private Members
Member No.: 125

(InfoWorld) - Internet users looking for information at the U.S. government's Web portal will get more complete and relevant results using a new search engine unveiled Tuesday, according to officials with the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA).

The GSA's FirstGov.gov Web portal now will connect users to more than 40 million official U.S. government documents and Web pages, compared to 8 million under the old search technology. GSA contracted with Microsoft Corp. for its MSN Search functionality and Vivisimo Inc., for its contextual search software, to create the new search engine.

The new search, which went online late Monday, incorporates federal, state, local and tribal government Web sites, said M.J. Pizzella, associate administrator of GSA's Office of Citizen Services and Communications.

Improving FirstGov's search capabilities was important because many people don't know what agency or level of government to go to for help with passports, drivers licenses and Social Security payments, Pizzella said. "We know how important information on the Web is," she said. "People don't really want to be bothered with what level of government."

FirstGov's new search provides more raw data, but also clusters relevant links by topic. For example, under the old search functionality, FirstGov users could enter "Ford Mustang" and see hundreds of unsorted documents, with the top result being a 2001 manual on how to install a baby seat in a Mustang.

Under the new search, government agency fuel miles-per-gallon estimates and crash test ratings for the car appear at the top of the search results page. A list of grouped links on the side of the results page includes Web pages about local police departments' use of Mustangs, links to the U.S. Postal Service Mustang stamps and safety information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

One advantage of the FirstGov search engine is it searches only government information, Pizzella said. Some commercial search engines can search government sites, but also search sites not affiliated with the U.S. government, she noted. Those commercial sites are useful, but if users want a search targeted to only government sites, they can come to FirstGov, she said.

"When you come to us, you're getting only .gov," Pizzella said.

The new FirstGov search engine also allows users to preview links to other sites. By hitting the preview button, a section of the linked page comes up just below the hyperlink, allowing users to see a section of the linked page without leaving the search results page.

FirstGov also allows users to search for government forms, such as tax forms, and to search for podcasts, such as President George Bush's latest speech on Social Security.

The FirstGov contract is the first time Microsoft has licensed its MSN Search technology to a separate Web site, although the company has plans to sell it to more sites, said Richard Young, chief technology architect for Microsoft's eGovernment Industry Unit.

Under FirstGov's old search engine, GSA ran an in-house search operation, using 29 servers, with an annual cost of about US$3.2 million, according to GSA . The new search engine, using Vivisimo's contextual search software and MSN's search index, delivers four times as many documents and costs $1.8 million a year, Pizzella said.

"It was clear to us we needed to go to [an outside] service to scale," she said.

Later this year, GSA plans to add search capabilities for government news and for images on government Web sites, Pizzella said.

FirstGov had more than 179 million page views and 27 million search queries during 2005, according to the GSA.

SEE ALSO:

• Microsoft defends decision to give up search data
  • U.S. Department of Justice blasts Microsoft on compliance
  • ADVERTISEMENT
    VeriSign - SSL
    VeriSign SSL Certificates secure ecommerce transactions

FirstGov.gov revamps search functionality
    Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
    +Quote Post
    Gardor
    post 30 Jan 2010, 07:50 PM
    Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
    Member No.: 43189

A file of mine has a virus and i don't want to delete it how can I erase the virus from existence and still keep my file? If you have the name of a comp program that can do it please do tell. unlock iphone

+Quote Post
    Radoscp
    post 17 Feb 2010, 03:53 AM
    Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
    Member No.: 44510

I installed Mozilla Firefox in F drive. Due to virus problem I formatted my C drive.Then i can't find Mozilla firefox. So I installed Mozilla again. After that i can't find my Bookmarks in the newly installed one. Now how to get my bookmarks again? Still am having that Mozilla in program files in F drive. forex robot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:17 AM
    Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
    InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find