NickTheGreek
post 29 Oct 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Zodiac Sign: I'm a leo!

A fractal is a geometric object which is rough or irregular on all scales of length, and so which appears to be 'broken up' in a radical way. Some of the best examples can be divided into parts, each of which is similar to the original object. Fractals are said to possess infinite detail, and they may actually have a self-similar structure that occurs at different levels of magnification. In many cases, a fractal can be generated by a repeating pattern, in a typically recursive or iterative process. The term fractal was coined in 1975 by Benoît Mandelbrot, from the Latin fractus or "broken". Before Mandelbrot coined his term, the common name for such structures (the Koch snowflake, for example) was monster curve.

user posted image
The Mandelbrot set, named after its discoverer, is a famous example of a fractal.

Fractals of many kinds were originally studied as mathematical objects. Fractal geometry is the branch of mathematics which studies the properties and behaviour of fractals. It describes many situations which cannot be explained easily by classical geometry, and has often been applied in science, technology, and computer-generated art. The conceptual roots of fractals can be traced to attempts to measure the size of objects for which traditional definitions based on Euclidean geometry or calculus fail.

user posted image
The Mandelbrot set, named after its discoverer, is a famous example of a fractal.

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

sidis submitted various stunning images to the Gallery and i would like all of us to post even more Images, here directly or linked to the Gallery

user posted image

--------------------

c:\ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...
Go to the top of the page

Bookmark this: Post to Del.icio.usPost to DiggPost to FacebookPost to GooglePost to SlashdotPost to StumbleUponPost to TechnoratiPost to YahooMyWeb
+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 15 Apr 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon

[center]user posted image

Another view of the Mandelbrot set.[/center]

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickTheGreek
post 15 Apr 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon

[center]user posted image[/center]

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:49 PM
Skin and Graphics by Dan Ellis and Anubis. Hosting by Forums & More © 2005-2011.
InvisionGames - Your #1 Arcade Games Repository | AllSigs - Signatures for all | Rock Band + Guitar Hero = RockHero ! | The Remoters - Remote Assistance | FileMiners - You ask, We find